Bilkent University is recognized and ranked worldwide as the premier institution of higher education in Turkey. Located in the country's capital city Ankara, a vibrant metropolis of 4.5 million, the university serves a hub of academic, social, and cultural activity.
Bilkent University was founded in 1984 as Turkey's first private, non-profit institution of higher education. With world-renowned scholars among its faculty and top-notch facilities throughout its campus, Bilkent attracts many of Turkey's brightest high school graduates. The university hosts over 13,000 students pursuing degrees in 32 undergraduate and 48 graduate programs.
Bilkent University prides itself on its truly international perspective. The medium of instruction at Bilkent is English, and its international community of scholars and students forms an essential component of the university's academic and social life. International faculty and instructors make up more than a quarter of all academic staff, representing 40 different countries. There is a growing body of full-time international students and exchange students coming from 74 countries.
Bilkent offers a lively cultural and social atmosphere. The 500-hectare campus is only 12 kilometers from the center of Ankara, with easy access to the city's parks, shopping areas, cultural activities, museums, and entertainment venues. In addition, Bilkent's location in the historically rich Anatolian heartland allows easy access to other cities, traditional villages, stunning landscapes, historic sites and places of great cultural interest throughout the country.
Bilkent University has recently been ranked 31st in the 2014 inaugural Times Higher Education (THE) Asia University Rankings. Bilkent also ranks 31st in the Times Higher Education 100 Under 50 league table of the world's best young universities (under the age of 50). Bilkent has again been ranked 218th in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2014. Finally among the World’s Top 100 Universities for Engineering and Technology in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2013-14, Bilkent is ranked 98th and is the only Turkish university on the list.
Chief among the factors that ensure a high standard of education at Bilkent is a faculty actively engaged in research. As mentors and instructors, they interact with students in modern classrooms and state-of-the-art laboratories, connected by an extensive computer and internet infrastructure. Bilkent actively invests in new educational and research technologies. Undergraduates may take part in projects conducted in high-tech facilities ranging from nanotechnology centers to digital content creation and editing laboratories. To support its students' academic success, Bilkent provides unlimited access to computer labs around the clock.
The Bilkent University Library is the most extensive academic library in the country. In addition to its large collection of books, the Library provides on-site and remote access to journals and databases to meet the scholarly needs of students and faculty.
Bilkent University provides a rich and diverse environment for learning and intellectual growth.
Come to Bilkent and discover the world!
Why Study Here?
• Bilkent University was established in 1984 as the first foundation university in Turkey, and admitted its first students in 1986.
• The campus, 12 kilometers from the city center, is located in the country's capital city Ankara, a vibrant metropolis of 4.5 million.
• There are more than 35,000 Bilkent alumni.
• Currently, there are approximately 13,000 students enrolled at the University; 40% of the student body is on scholarship.
• Bilkent University has 32 bachelor's, 6 associate's, and 48 graduate programs in a variety of fields.
• Over 2,000 courses are given in the University's nine faculties, three applied schools and two vocational schools.
• There are approximately 1,000 faculty members; international faculty members from 36 countries comprise one-fourth of this number.
• Faculty members were supported with a budget of approximately $320.000.000 between 2005 and 2013 in the frame of the European Union (83), The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (289), public and private company (224) projects.
• There are over 2,000 computers in laboratories around the campus that are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
• Bilkent University has student exchange program agreements with over 240 universities around the world.
• Bilkent Library, visited by 860,000 researchers and students each year, is open for 362 days a year.
• There are more than 100 student clubs at Bilkent, enabling students to come together to participate in favorite activities or develop new interests.
• Since 1999, students have been taking part in numerous community projects organized by the Social Responsibility Center, Bilkent's umbrella organization for volunteer activities.
• Radio Bilkent, established and staffed by students, broadcasts in the FM band at the 96.6 MHz frequency.
• Bilkent dormitories can accommodate a total of 4,000 students.
• The Health Center offers health services to all students along with academic and administrative staff 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Bilkent University covers 80% of students' medicine expenses.
• The Bilkent Symphony Orchestra performs more than 70 concerts each year at the Bilkent Concert Hall, with a seating capacity of 730, and in various other cities in Turkey. Its 100 musicians come from 12 different countries.
• Each year, around 700 well-known companies and organizations visit Bilkent University to inform students about career opportunities.
• Bilkent Cyberpark, founded in 2002, is the fastest growing techno park in Turkey. It serves in a 100,000 m2 indoor area with 195 technology-based companies, 9 research centers and 3.000 personnel.
• Bilkent University ranks 31st in the inaugural Times Higher Education (THE) 100 Under 50 league table of the world's best young universities in 2014.
• Bilkent University has also been ranked 31st in the 2014 inaugural THE Asia University Rankings.
• Bilkent has again been ranked 218th in THE World University Rankings for 2014.
• The Quacquarelli Symonds World University Rankings report for 2014-15 lists Bilkent University among the top 400 universities in the world. Bilkent University ranked 399th.
Services / Facilities
Bilkent is dedicated to providing every student with an experience that is both enriching and enjoyable. The campus is inviting, friendly and safe. Around 4,000 students stay on campus at the University's well maintained, safe, and comfortable dormitories while enjoying a quick snack or full meal at cafes and restaurants spread out in different locations for their convenience. Students are provided with opportunities to develop their social and personal skills as well as their educational background. While many students take advantages of the sports facilities and playing fields on campus, most of them enjoy participating in very actively functioning student clubs. Further, the students are also encouraged to get involved and actively take part in the decisions and policies made by the University Senate through the elections carried out by the Student Union.
The Office of International Students provides assistance and guidance to international students through all phases of their academic and social conduct in order to ensure an easy transition. In addition to providing information on such procedural matters as application and accommodation, this office also offers ongoing help via orientation programs and cultural trips.
Bilkent University Library is the most extensive academic library in the country, visited by 700,000 researchers and students every year. Facilities include capacious computer and Internet infrastructure, modern classrooms and state-of-the-art science and engineering laboratories, and art studios.
The Health Center is open 24 hours every day. The Career Center helps undergraduate, graduate students and alumni to take the necessary steps to achieve their career goals and provides guidance for their career development.
Ankara maintains traces of civilizations dating back to the Bronze Age, to the Hittites, Phrygians, Lydians, and Persians.
The city is a center for classical music, ballet, jazz, and modern dance. The Bilkent Symphony Orchestra, founded in 1993, contribute to the citys artistic ambience with 90 proficient artists from 13 countries. Rock and blues concerts are prominent parts of Ankaras lively night life. This metropolitan city offers a vivid and rich cultural life, with miscellaneous events and institutions such as the National Library of Turkey, Turkish State Theatres, Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, Ankara Ethnography Museum, State Museum of Painting and Sculpture, and the Atatürk Mausoleum (Anitkabir). Ankara is also the home of the Turkish Parliament, ministries, foreign embassies, and 13 universities.
Shopping in Ankara can be exciting especially in the old part of the town for buying old copper, jewelry, carpets, antiques and embroidery. Modern shopping malls are scattered in and around the city. Small shopping areas, local markets and restaurants are other attractive sights one should not miss. The capital city has cheap and fast inner city transportation system including buses and subway, private mass transport alternatives. There are affordable and convenient housing alternatives in the city center as well.
Ankara offers direct flights to airlines as well as the alternatives to all regions of the country. Its location makes it very convenient for "Weekend Escapes" to reach to skiing resorts, cultural and historical sites, and the seaside.
Accommodation in Bilkent University
Our dormitories - consisting of 26 buildings with various designs and features, provide a peaceful, secure, comfortable, pleasant and hygienic atmosphere for more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds, who have chosen to take advantage of the excellence in higher education offered by Bilkent University. Our special and standard dormitories, all located on our Main and East Campuses, offer single, double, triple, quadriple and suite accommodation alternatives for our students, at varying rates. For more detailed information please visit http://www.bilkent.edu.tr/bilkent-tr/admin-unit/yurt/e_index.html
Getting to Bilkent
Bilkent University is located about 12 kilometers from the Ankara city center. Bilkent occupies more than 500 hectares of land and has three campuses - Main, Middle and East - which are connected by a regular free shuttle bus service.
Ankara Esenboğa International airport is located northeast of Ankara, 28 km from the city center. If you are traveling by plane, you can use the HAVAŞ shuttle service or city buses (EGO), which provides transportation between Esenboğa airport and the city. The fare is 10 TRY (approximately 6 euros). HAVAŞ and EGO buses stop at two terminals: first at the HAVAŞ city terminal and then at AŞTİ Terminal. You can take a taxi, which will cost around 30 TRY (approximately 10 euros) or get on a bus, minibus or use the subway from AŞTİ Terminal to Bilkent University.
Main Campus Bus Service (Ring)
There is also a free shuttle bus service with a route running the length of the Main Campus, starting from the faculty housing area and continuing past the classroom buildings up to the student dormitories. The buses run at 20-minute intervals, and stop at points along the route marked with a sign reading “RING.”
Inter-Campus Bus Service (Ring)
An additional free shuttle service connects Main and East campuses, with buses running every 20 minutes.